Chick peas or garbanzo beans are a great source of protein and fibre and make a fabulous edition to a vegetarian diet, and will also help sustain you while detoxing. They have a low glycemic index and keep you feeling full – a powerful combination in helping control weight as you consume fewer calories. They are also highly versatile – and taste great sprinkled through a salad, mushed into falafel, or burgers, or crushed into humus.
- 2 cups peeled diced cucumber, (cut lengthwise and scoop out seeds), diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (soaked and cooked)
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2-1/2 TBS chopped fresh mint
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, use tender whole leaves for bed
Combine all the vegetables and herbs then toss with lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper for a heart fresh salad.